World Affairs Seminar Staff Counselors and Nurses are highly valued and the backbone of the WAS seminar experience. They have a strong desire to serve the community and world at large. Throughout the week they create a safe, positive, and fun environment, while facilitating the extensive academic curriculum as a cohesive and well-trained leadership team. WAS Staff Counselors come from a variety of backgrounds including guidance counselors, teachers, librarians, business professionals, college students, and past participants. This year Staff will consist of four levels:
- Counselor 1 (first and second year counselors)
- Counselor 2 (third year of experience and more)
- Senior Staff: Dean of Students, Academic Assistant, Recreation Leader, Transportation Leader, Talent Leader and Social Media & Communications Director.
- Registered Nurse (Registered Nurses preferable with experience in school nursing, pediatrics or emergency services).
Expectations and Requirements:
- Eager to Focus on a “Delegate-centric” experience.
- Open to new ideas
- Respectful of others
- Loyal to the Principles of the World Affairs Seminar
- Present a positive image in attitude, spirit and appearance
- Work as a member of a team of dedicated leaders
- Interested in world events and making a difference locally and globally
- International experience a strong “plus” (but not a requirement)
- Able to facilitate a group without supervision
- Personally accountable, ethical and truthful
- Creative, energetic and fun to be around
- Able and willing to participate in recreational and physical activities
- Possess strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Well organized
- Compassionate and empathetic; willing to listen; patient
- Are preparing to begin their 3rd year of college (having just completed their Sophomore year) or have been out of high school for a minimum of two years
It’s Easy to Apply
Download the Staff Application and Youth Activities Affidavit
Complete Both Forms
On the top of the Application Form write any specific position you would like to have. This does not guarantee a position, but tells us what you aspire to.
Mail, (10600 W. Mitchell St. West Allis WI 53092) E-Mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or FAX (414-431-0588) Forms to World Affairs Seminar
* Counselors receive free room and board plus a modest monetary stipend.
Don’t wait. Apply NOW! Send in your Staff Counselor application for the World Affairs Seminar 2017 today! Application Deadline: May 20th, 2018 or sooner if positions are filled.
World Affairs Seminar Permanent Staff
Barbara L. Eder – Office Manager and Registrar, has extensive experience in organization and administrative support. In her role she coordinates the registration process, manages delegate room assignments, coordinates meals and provides a host of other services to both staff and delegates.
Michael Carriere, PhD, Academic Dean, is an Associate Professor and Director of the University Scholars Honors Program with the Milwaukee School of Engineering. He has extensive experience in curriculum development, international affairs, politics of disaster, urban development, civics and international history.
Dr. Carriere brings a wealth of creative energy and enthusiasm, to his position. He has developed and is applying an innovative set of changes to advance the texture and scope of the World Affairs Seminar, including broadening the scope of break-out sessions and integrating service projects into the capstone process. His high level of experience in academics and international education adds considerable depth to WAS.
Thomas M. Plantenberg, MS, BA,CFRE assumed the position of Executive Director of the World Affairs Seminar in 2008. He has reorganized the Board of Directors and created a multi-national, high-profile Advisory Board. Tom Plantenberg is a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE). He is accredited by the Association of Health Care Philanthropy, and a Fellow and Past President of the Wisconsin Hospital Public Relations and Marketing Society. He retired in 2007 from the U.S. Navy Reserve at the rank of Captain.