Welcome to the World Affairs Seminar “Hunger in a World of Plenty.” Congratulations on accepting the challenge of participating in a virtual event. We have gone to great lengths to make sure the week ahead is among the most amazing experiences in your life to date. As a Student Delegate, you are one of over 30,000 individuals from more than fifty nations who share the experience of having attended the World Affairs Seminar since it was founded in 1977. Although you will not share in the face-to-face interactions that marked past Seminars, we hope the new friends you make and the shared discussions and activities of WAS 2020 you participate in will remain with you and change your life.
This year’s topic is fundamental to all living creatures. Food is essential to every one of us who share the earth. Our goal is to broaden your perspective by providing a wide range of viewpoints and experiences on this topic. During your time at WAS you will have the opportunity to hear and interact with international experts, take virtual food-related field trips, learn about your personal consumption habits and (here’s the best part) get to know and learn from bright, enthusiastic, incredible people from around the globe.
The value of the World Affairs Seminar can be immeasurable – but it will only benefit you if you participate fully. The fact that you are doing this remotely adds to your personal challenge. As you experience and learn, savor the opportunity to meet new people online. Be bold – share your ideas and open yourself to challenge. Absorb, learn, and grow in the process. When the Seminar is over we hope you will do two things. First, take time to reflect on what you have learned; not just about food, which is simply a learning platform. Instead, take time to reflect on how you have grown as an individual who is ready and capable. Second, please share your experience with others so they too can become part of WAS. Tell your friends and classmates. If you were sponsored by a Rotary Club or other organization, offer to make a presentation so they can see the full value of the investment they made in your future. Join the WAS Delegate Alumni Group after you leave. Stay in touch, not only with the WAS organization, but with all of the new friends you have made.
Have a great time and thanks for being part of the World Affairs Seminar.
Thomas M. Plantenberg
Michael Carriere, PhD
As you prepare for the virtual seminar later this month, there are a few things you should do to get ready! We have compiled a brief list of things for you to do prior to June 22nd that will help you have an enjoyable experience during our four days together. Be sure to read the full list before getting started. Here’s what you need to know:
- Mark your calendar! June 22-25 will be a busy four days for us. We’ll provide a full agenda for you shortly!
- Create an account. All of the seminar information is secured for your safety. You will need to create an account using your full first & last name (the name listed on your registration paperwork) in order to access the information. Visit https://worldaffairsseminar.org/was2020/access/ to create your account today!
- Download & Test Zoom. Most of our sessions will take place using the videoconferencing software Zoom. Please download this Zoom application and test it to make sure everything is in working order.
- Bookmark our Guidebook. Our Guidebook is the official resource of the 2020 Virtual World Affairs Seminar. You will want to bookmark this for quick access during the seminar. Visit https://WorldAffairsSeminar.org/Guidebook/G20 and add to the bookmarks of your internet browser.
- Preview the Seminar. Read through the seminar information, agenda, and speakers list carefully and thoroughly. Additional details are being added daily. There will not be a test, but a precise understanding of the days ahead will help you be successful through your journey.
We can’t wait to get started! If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on social media.
See you soon!