Preparing for WAS
On Saturday, June 22nd, you will embark on a unique adventure at the 2019 World Affairs Seminar. We are excited about the international, educational and social networking opportunities available to you and the caliber of delegates taking part!
If you are not able to arrive on Saturday between about noon and 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 22nd, or as discussed earlier with Seminar staff, please let us know as soon as possible.
- If you are being dropped off, you will want to go to the residence hall where you will register. These will be determined as the seminar approaches.
- If you are driving, you can park temporarily and register as described in the paragraph above. As you register, let the staff know that you are driving and they will direct you to the parking area where you are to leave your car for the week. Once your car is parked and locked, you need to turn your keys in to the WAS office located in the Campus Center. They will be returned to you Friday morning, June 28th.
During registration you will receive your dorm assignment, group assignment and check in with the nurse. You then can stow your personal items in the dorm room and meet your roommate.
During the seminar week, our WAS office phone number at Carroll University is (262) 951.3196. Our regular office number will only be checked once or twice each day. The same applies to our office fax. Please share this with your families.
Departure is Friday, June 28th, any time after you have finished breakfast and said your good-byes, but before noon, please. Check-out from residence halls is before 9:00AM, however delegates may wait in the Campus Center for rides. There is no programming on Friday; it is strictly a travel day.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us. It’s going to be a great week!
On this page you will find important information and documents to help you better prepare for the seminar in June.
World Affairs Seminar has gone digital!
All seminar content will be available to delegates virtually this year through Guidebook.
AVAILABLE UPON CHECK-IN!
Get the app on your mobile device now, for free.
Please restrict downloads to ONE device/download per delegate. We respectfully ask that parents, Rotarians, and other guests not download our Guidebook to their mobile device, as each additional download incurs an added cost for our organization.
What To Pack
Leaving home for a week can seem like a daunting task when you are trying to pack your suitcase. Don’t fret! We have a list of top recommended items to bring to the seminar (and what not to bring). Among them:
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A small window/desk fan
- Spending money (for WAS & Carroll Univ. t-shirts, late night pizzas, etc.)
- A notebook & pen/pencil
- An instrument or talent/hobby for the Talent Show (Wednesday night)
- Personal bed linens & towels (highly recommended; see attached packing list)
- Completed, Signed, Dated forms, including Health/Consent/Expectations & Rules MUST be received prior to the start of the seminar on Saturday!
Bring only what you are willing to carry! Please leave your valuables at home.
Click Here to download our complete Packing List.
Links & Resources
We consider every delegate both a LEARNER and a TEACHER. This year especially, with the Promise & Perils of Social Media as our theme, we recognize seminar participants are likely subject matter experts. We encourage ALL delegates to consider what knowledge and experiences they can thoughtfully and confidently bring to a workshop of attendees, and to submit a proposal.
Seminar Check-In Parking
WAS Male Dormitory
WAS Female Dormitory
Where To Go
The Seminar is located at Carroll University
100 N. East Avenue
Waukesha, Wisconsin 53186
Check-In takes place in the Campus Center. When you arrive on campus, look for our staff counselors in the red hats & red staff t-shirts. We will be happy to point you in the right direction!
Young Men will be located in Kilgour Hall (119 E. College Avenue).
Young Women will be located in North & South Bergstrom Halls (135 S. East Avenue)