PUBLISHED APRIL 02, 2020.
To our colleagues and supporters,
The threat of the Coronavirus Pandemic has made it necessary for leadership of the World Affairs Seminar to revise our 2020 offering. This decision has been made with an abundance of caution, and with emphasis on the health, wellness and safety of delegates and staff. In doing so we endeavor to adhere to the highest Rotary principles of fairness, and the best interest of all who will be affected.
The 2020 World Affairs Seminar will be conducted in a revised, virtual format. As such we have decided to forego our usual venue of Carroll University, in Waukesha, Wis., due to health and safety concerns. Instead, delegates will participate utilizing remote access via personal computer, phone or other electronic device. This format will allow group training and communication without exposure to any communicable disease. It will also eliminate travel, group meals and housing.
As with past Seminars, small groups will be formed and facilitated by discussion group leaders, and opportunities to interact will be provided. The Seminar will also feature Internationally renowned Keynote and Breakout speakers as well as virtual field trips and our concluding capstone element. Whenever possible, Q & A opportunities will be provided. But all will be done in a virtual setting.
We plan to resume our normal venue in 2021.
Due to these changes, the registration fee to participate in the virtual 2020 World Affairs Seminar is set at $260.00 USD per delegate.
Registration to the 2020 virtual World Affairs Seminar includes:
- Digital access to all live & prerecorded keynote lectures, break-out speakers, and small-group discussions for the duration of the seminar.
- Access to a procured digital library of academic resources related to the theme of the seminar during and following the seminar.
- Participation in virtual field trips and other academic or extra-curricular activities made available during the seminar.
- Inclusion in an online forum, for academic interaction, reflection and discussions during the seminar.
- Virtual access to World Affairs Seminar academic staff and team of counselors.
- Access to all other seminar materials and experiences, digital or otherwise.
- Opportunities for the payor(s) and representative(s) of the sponsoring organization to audit the virtual seminar (may view lectures and events but may not participate in Q&A or discussions).
Registration to the 2020 virtual World Affairs Seminar does not include access to the internet or a personal electronic device, such as a computer/laptop, tablet or cell phone. Delegates must have access to an electronic device with internet connectivity in order to participate
We encourage everyone who has already registered for WAS 2020 to take advantage of this opportunity to participate. Sponsors who have already paid tuition for the 2020 seminar prior to the COVID-19 outbreak will be offered the following options:
- Transfer pre-paid tuition dollars, in whole or in part, to registrations for the 2020 virtual World Affairs Seminar at the above rate
- Bank the remaining funds, if any, in whole or in part, as credits for the 2021 World Affairs Seminar
- Donate the remaining dollars, if any, in whole or in part, to support the WAS mission and programs in this time of great need.
- Refunds, if necessary, will be handled as fairly and prudently as possible. Any remaining dollars will be refunded to the original payor (some transactional fees may be incurred in accordance with the Refund Policy listed on the World Affairs Seminar website).
World Affairs Seminar is making a reasonable attempt to contact sponsors/payors. If the World Affairs Seminar does not receive a decision from sponsors/payors in writing May 1st, the pre-paid registration dollars will, by default, be banked as credits for the 2021 seminar, not to exceed one year.
The World Affairs Seminar (WAS) is a Rotary International Youth program of District 6270. WAS has provided a unique experience in international relations, leadership training and group dynamics for nearly 45 years.
The Board of Directors and Staff of the World Affairs Seminar deeply appreciate your understanding and support during this difficult time. Please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail, we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Continued program-related updates will be shared at https://worldaffairsseminar.org/coronavirus-updates/ . Please feel free to contact us via email at email@example.com with any questions or concerns that you may have. Note that our office phone may not be monitored and voicemail service is not available at this time.
We thank you in advance for your understanding and support.
Yours in Rotary Service,
Tamie Koop, Chair
World Affairs Seminar Board
Thomas Plantenberg, Executive Director
World Affairs Seminar