Urban Life in a Changing World
June 19-25, 2021
Cities: Urban Life in a Changing World
For the first time in human history, more people live in cities and urban areas than in other environments. Some would say this is a natural course for humanity. Since our first beginnings we have gathered in tribes and groups, built dwellings in proximity to one another, and developed cooperative organizations to achieve safety, stability and growth. Others would point out that whenever possible individuals have migrated away from tribal clusters to establish places of their own, such as farms, towns and, ultimately urban centers. However we got here, the more than 9 billion people who inhabit the rapidly urbanizing earth face complex and challenging questions. Issues range from sanitation to allocation of resources, personal responsibility to one another and society and the customs and laws that govern our behavior and may impact our very existence.
Be a Delegate!
US & international High School Students between the ages of 15-18 years of age
The World Affairs Seminar (WAS) is a unique interactive educational program for high school students. Since WAS first accepted students in 1977, over 30,000 future world leaders have participated. Registration is now open.
Be a Counselor!
College-aged students & other community leaders
World Affairs Seminar Staff Counselors and Nurses are highly valued and the backbone of the WAS seminar experience. Our staff counselors come from a variety of backgrounds including teachers, college students, past participants, and more.
Become a Sponsor!
Inspire a future leader
There are many ways to give to our program. Anybody can support WAS, including Rotary Clubs, other service organizations, schools, parents, and even grandparents. Your gift can go a long way to inspire your high school student Click the link below for our various sponsorship opportunities.
About the Seminar
At the 2021 seminar, we expect attendees from over thirty nations. Each delegate will have her or his own story and viewpoint, contributing to conversations about urban life from
a variety of social, economic, political and cultural perspectives. By the time the Seminar is over, each delegate will not only know the stories of others and shared their own but will have gained skills to help them shape the world they will inherit.
NEW THIS YEAR! TWO OPTIONS TO ATTEND
We are excited to offer this hybrid experience for the first time this year.
Traditional Seminar Experience
Traditional (In-Person) Seminar Experience
For most, the preferred experience will be Traditional (in-Person) attendance. Delegates will gather on-campus at Carroll University (Waukesha, Wisconsin) to learn, interact and exchange knowledge and culture.
Virtual Seminar Experience
Virtual Seminar Experience
For some, the Virtual Experience offers online participation at a reduced cost. Virtual sessions allow participants to tune in remotely from wherever they may be around the globe.
Interested in attending the 2021 World Affairs Seminar?
If you wish to attend, start by showing this information to your parents, a teacher, guidance counselor or principal. Let them know you are interested.
- Cost is less than most sports or music camps.
- Scholarships may be available through your local School District, Rotary, Kiwanis, Lions, Optimist Clubs or other service organizations.
- When asking for a scholarship, offer to make a presentation about your experiences.
Benefits of Attendance
Attendance at WAS will add strength to your college enrollment applications because it validates your leadership and negotiation skills.
International Talent Show
Sing, dance, perform music, read poetry, be a comic… find like-minded students & create an act!
Global Night of Music
Always a highlight, the dance brings everyone together one last time to hang out, have fun, and exchange ideas.
The World Affairs Seminar is truly an international experience. WAS brings together peers from around the world to learn international relations and develop skills in diplomacy, communication and cooperation. Since 1976 WAS has impacted and changed lives, providing highly relevant skills in group problem solving, negotiation and peaceful diplomacy. Featured speakers represent a wide variety of perspectives, opinions and backgrounds. We believe every point of view matter – we embrace and mandate heathy respectful debate leading to collaborative learning and growth. Your role is to distill information, identify priorities and develop defining skills to both lead and cooperate with others from different cultures to reach workable solutions.
At the 2021 seminar, you will:
- Look at Urban Life from many points of view.
- Work with delegates from around the world to define issues and problem areas.
- Take field trips to see city life from new and insightful perspectives.
- Discover what you can do to make your environment and the world a better place.
- Explore how traditional roles and new opportunities come together as international society adjusts to the needs of the future.
- Examine how existing social systems are affected by urbanization.
- Determine the role personal behavior has in both perpetuating and solving urban problems.
“The World Affairs Seminar gave me the best week of my life. I am so grateful to have met hundreds of amazing people, and I’m able to say that I have friends from all over the world. I feel that I’ve changed for the better as a person, and I’ve become more educated on issues affecting our society. My life would be completely different if I hadn’t decided to go to WAS, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. “
Why Should You Attend?
Prepare yourself for an adventure that will broaden your understanding of international happenings and change your perspective. The World Affairs Seminar (WAS) brings you face to face with other students, experts, and leaders from the world over. You will engage in stimulating discussion of world affairs. You’ll interact with experienced professionals—from government, business, and academia. You will leave with strong bonds and lifelong friends.
Experience the diversity of global political, social and religious traditions. Share your ideas, make new friends, accept the challenge to find out more. Learn to explore and appreciate other points of view. Gain a better understanding of the world around you and where you fit in shaping the future.
At World Affairs Seminar, the goal is to open minds rather than advocate a specific viewpoint. While you are with us, we consider you a “delegate”. Your opinions count – and so do those of others. It is up to you to decide what messages are credible and to evaluate and understand of how different people think about global issues and why. You will discuss, add to and exchange ideas about issues. You will formulate and express your thoughts, hear what others think, and find shared ground. Your leadership and negotiation skills will grow through training sessions and conversation with peers, presenters and counselors.
Traditional Experience Fees & Discounts
- Domestic: $735 per delegate (U.S. and Canada).
- International: $635 per delegate (Includes international students studying in a U.S. High School on an Exchange Program). This $100 reduction is made possible by the Dale Brock International Scholarship program.
- Early Bird Discount: $50 per delegate if fee is paid by February 28, 2021.
- Group Discount: Sponsors of four (4) or more students receive an additional discount of $50 per delegate.
In-Person Seminar Fees Include:
- Six nights lodging in double occupancy campus residence halls,
- Meals from Saturday dinner through Friday breakfast,
- Use of linen – sheets, pillowcases, towel & wash cloth (must be returned complete and undamaged),
- Packet & Name Badge provided at check-in,
- All seminar materials, including Guidebook access,
- Instructional materials and expenses (includes keynote speakers & handout materials),
- Admission to all activities including Field Trips, Dance, Talent Show and Special Functions,
- 24-hour access to trained and qualified nursing staff and counselors,
- Use of Seminar related facilities, including computer labs,
- Use of Athletic Equipment and Facilities (sign-up may be required).
Virtual Experience Fees & Discounts
- Standard Rate: $365 per delegate.
- Early Bird Discount: $25 per delegate if fee is paid by February 28, 2021.
- Group Discount: Support of four (4) or more virtual delegates get an additional $25 discount per attendee.
Virtual Seminar Fees Include:
- Sessions specifically designed for participants to tune in and engage/interact virtually,
- All seminar materials, including Guidebook access,
- Instructional materials and expenses (includes keynote speakers & materials),
- Admission to all virtual activities,
- 24-hour access to trained and qualified staff counselors & facilitators.
Virtual Attendance Requirements
Participants will need consistent access to a computer, tablet or another mobile device with internet connectivity. Most interactive sessions will take place on the video-conferencing platform Zoom. A web-camera and microphone are highly recommended, although not required. Alternatively, you can use your phone to call into each Zoom meeting.
Note: All fees listed in U.S. Dollars. Discounts may be combined if they meet all applicable criteria. Group discounts based on the total number of sponsored attendees, regardless of modality/experience.
Registration Deadline: May 25, 2021.
The 2021 World Affairs Seminar will be hosted in-person at Carroll University in Waukesha, Wisconsin AND virtually via an online collaboration software.
100 N. East Avenue
Waukesha, WI 53186
For more information, visit: